Package-Free Rhubarb Oat Crumble:
We love this time of year as more local produce becomes available. And, it's even better when you can turn local produce into a package-free treat, perfect for meals on the deck or cozy in the kitchen on a rainy spring day. We think rhubarb, bubbling with brown sugar and oats wafting through the house has got to be one of the best smelling things ever.
- 1 cup of unbleached white flour
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. (8 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 lbs rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup white sugar or brown sugar (or sub maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Preheat Oven 375 F
2. Mix filling ingredients and spoon into a 9x13" baking dish
3. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the butter. Add the cold butter and pulse (about 1 minute) until you reach a texture of coarse meal and it clumps together when squeezed it lightly..
4. Bake for 35-45 minutes (until lightly brown and rhubarb is tender).
5. Transfer to a rack for 30-60 minutes to cool to room temperature and allow to thicken.
6. Serve with Say Hello Sweets or Earnest Ice Cream.